Sunday, September 21, 2008

I've Got to Hand it to You...

My color class is, putting it nicely, basic. Not so nicely? Giving a twelve year old crayons and asking them to write an essay. I was in the art studio for four hours finishing a project dealing with how color effects the same pattern. It sounds interesting but when you're working details with a wash brush on a 3"x5" square...By the end I was furious. Even worse, I still had paint on my palette. I hate wasting paint (a trait of frugal paint hording learned from mom) so, I took a glob of purple and started to paint my hand. And all that frustration poured out as I made LARGE strokes with bold colors. No tints, tones or mixed compliments! (Speaking of which, the orange background in the photo was unintentional but I suppose the class is starting to influence me.) I look to that painting now as a solace in times of frustration.

1 comment:

Claudia Carlson said...

Yes, hands off, you found a way to channel the frustration into overflow art! I remember some of the dull papers I used to write in college would make me explode into writing a cartoon. I like your painting. Next time feet, shoes, you can "step on it"